Saturday, November 29, 2008

Turkey Day

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Not to worry, Alisa and I filled our stomachs with a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, complete with cranberry sauce and green bean casserole, courtesy of my chief and his family. They were kind enough to open up their house to the division and even cooked two turkeys!
I’m quickly learning that public transportation can make a mountain out of a mole hill. Funny Thanksgiving story... Of course Alisa and I won’t feel right if we celebrate a holiday at only one party. Soooo, after Chief’s dinner, our next stop was the Junior Officer (JO) party where we were responsible for bringing mashed potatoes. Well, after cooking the potatoes all morning in our Navy Lodge microwave and mashing them in a commissary bought tin pan, we carried them – all 15 POUNDS of them – to the party. The trip encompassed a long walk from the base to the train station, a tight fit on the train (where we got plenty of stares), a long walk to Chief’s house, another train ride, and finally a short car ride that ended up at the JO’s party. The topper is … no one ate the damn potatoes! We arrived after they had finished dinner and so all stomachs were full. No worries ... we showed them! Alisa and I brought the potatoes back to the lodge for our turkey day leftovers (I’m sure they’ll last for months). Our fall PT test is coming up next week so it was a good thing that we didn’t come home with more food that we did.
How about this news: Thailand protests ordered to leave airport. Alisa and I will have to be careful when traveling in this part of the world. I heard that there may be a couple of Sailors stuck in the country until they can get past the protesters. Yikes!
I posted my FPO address on the right side of the blog incase anyone was wondering what it was. Of note any mail sent to that address will be charged for an United States postage (read: cheaper than sending to our local address).
Okay, get back out there in your jogging suites, thanksgiving is over.
-Mark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, as expected, you two can turn mashed potatoes into an adventure!!! Love you denise

Unknown said...

Next time try the instant potatoes.
Awh...what good memories you two are making together : ) love, love, love

Unknown said...

Sounds like you and Alisa are havin' a great time in Japan! Glad to know that you're still loving life and are safe. I'll keep you and your mates in my prayers. Say "hi" to Alisa for me!

Peace out, Hammertime!

Your old pal,

Dave Savatski