Well howdy ho neighbor! Tonight I find myself in the Red Sea. You know, they say you can float on your back no problem in this salty sea, too bad we’re not stopping to find out though. It was funny, after I told one of my coworkers he and a friend decided to test out my theory. They dipped a bucket over the side and tasted the water – like I said, S-A-L-T-Y! We passed through the Suez Canal with no problems. It was amazing to see land so close on each side of the ship. The scenery was interesting too; on one side of the canal were lots of trees and green grass and on the other was nothing but sand and rock. Security was tight with Egyptian armed guards on both sides of the canal; they followed us from start to finish. We are starting to smell a little funky though because we were in restricted waters and our ship could not make potable water or flush CHT (a.k.a. poop) overboard. That means no showers for about 30 hours and poop tanks dangerously high – Yummy! I find myself often imagining what this trip would be like if I were on a wooden ship from the 1700’s. Forget CHT tanks, instead we would take our little skinny butts over the side! And showers?! Who needs showers, just fix me some rum drinks (grog) and gets rid of me scurvy, YAR!
Like I said before I am busy busy busy. Now we are standing six more hours (on top of our already six) of watch per day. Before I start this story, remember, I welcome the challenge. Bring it on! It all started with Rick endeavoring to switch watch teams. One of his team members had recently done something stupid (not going into details) and Rick had a hard time working with him. After two times, the third attempt at proposing to switch teams resulted in the s*** hitting the fan. Rick’s timing/setting in which he asked to switch wasn’t exactly great. We were in a meeting with the senior watch officer (who recommends the watch bill to our #1 boss) and the #2 boss. Rick proposed that we switch sections in order to learn what other watch team captains had to offer us as teachers – setting. On top of that, most of my coworkers are behind in our qualification process – timing. End result … since we learn and progress towards qualification while on watch lets assign more hours! Let’s just say I know what a medical intern feels like. Sleep is treasured and hard to come by. Last night I went to bed and just passed out, no tossing or turning for me.
P.S. Thanks so much for the package and pictures you are sending me! I could still use more pictures though J.
Miss you guys! A lot!
Mark
Like I said before I am busy busy busy. Now we are standing six more hours (on top of our already six) of watch per day. Before I start this story, remember, I welcome the challenge. Bring it on! It all started with Rick endeavoring to switch watch teams. One of his team members had recently done something stupid (not going into details) and Rick had a hard time working with him. After two times, the third attempt at proposing to switch teams resulted in the s*** hitting the fan. Rick’s timing/setting in which he asked to switch wasn’t exactly great. We were in a meeting with the senior watch officer (who recommends the watch bill to our #1 boss) and the #2 boss. Rick proposed that we switch sections in order to learn what other watch team captains had to offer us as teachers – setting. On top of that, most of my coworkers are behind in our qualification process – timing. End result … since we learn and progress towards qualification while on watch lets assign more hours! Let’s just say I know what a medical intern feels like. Sleep is treasured and hard to come by. Last night I went to bed and just passed out, no tossing or turning for me.
P.S. Thanks so much for the package and pictures you are sending me! I could still use more pictures though J.
Miss you guys! A lot!
Mark
p.s. My best friend out here, Rick is now a proud father of a brand new baby boy - Richard Riley Rivas (RRR)! 8 lbs 3 oz (or something close to that). Congradulations!
10 comments:
Yo bro - It's Harry!! When do you come home? I'm too used to you not being around...it's not cool. When you get back we'll have to have a party or something...your house??? haha. It's saturday and i'm doing nothing, i'm sure you can't say the same thing, you're busy as hell from what i've read. I was just wondering how you were and all, and i'll start checking my email occasionally from now on, or at least try to..
i'll talk to you later
-F.P.
Markus, Alisa is on the train to Philly and we'll be together soon. Dana is hangin' in. Our congrats to Rick, we'll send alittle something for the new addition when Alisa goes back. Let us know when the package arrives. Stay healthy and strong. We love you.
denise
Son, Awesomeeeee , Rick is a New Pop with a Son. Tell Rick I said , congratulations. He must be really proud. Will visit Alisha when we go to see your new Bride very soon. Hopefully we will see her when she comes up. The sites must be awesome to see the Canal and just green on one side. Very cold here today, and colder this week.Keep the pictures coming . What do you need in a care package? I look for your notes daily and think of you each day. I am very proud of you ,thanks for serving.Sounds like you are busy, good the day goes faster. Miss you Son, thanks for writing Love You Very Much, Pop and Frankie.ps Tyler skiing with Rob at Killington, filling in for the big Kahunaaaaaaa. Flipping 20 footers!!
Hi Mark! I love reading your blog - I am so jealous of your adventure! Sounds like you are working your tail off - and enjoying it! You go boy! I admire your outlook and enthusiasm - keep up the great work.
Lauren
hey hey, so glad to speak to you the other day for 38 minutes!!! what a record!! miss you and thinking of you every second of every day.
xoxo
hey hey, so glad to speak to you the other day for 38 minutes!!! what a record!! miss you and thinking of you every second of every day.
xoxo
Hey B, were you part of any humanitarian efforts recently? i "spouse's email" went out talking about repairing some school and stuff... that sounded like something you'd want in on...miss you
Hey, Mark!
How's it going?
It's amazing how we in this country take the simple things in life, like showering and going to the bathroom, for granted!
You'll really appreciate so many things so much more when you return home.
We think of you every day and enjoy very much keeping up with your thoughts and adventures!
Also, we were very sorry to hear of Alisa's loss of her grandmother.
I'll give her a call soon to catch up with everything that is going on.
Take good care of yourself and relax in your spare time, whenever you get a chance not to be so busy!
Love you,
Aunt Barbara
25 weeks to go
Dear Mark,
How are you doing? It's your cousin David. I am writing from my dad's labtop. I am on a basketball team and we are 9-1. We have another game on Tuesday. There isn't much competition except for one team. This weekend went by very fast. Bye.
David
Post a Comment